Reading time 5 minutes
Email marketing is still a powerful tool for building customer relationships and driving sales, but it’s important to evaluate and improve your strategy constantly. As the new year approaches, you must set marketing goals for your email list to stay competitive in the digital landscape. This blog post will focus on five crunching new year’s marketing goals for your email list in 2023.
Goal 1: Increase Email List Size
One of the most important goals for your email list is to increase the number of subscribers. The larger your email list, the more potential customers you have to reach. But how can you grow your email list?
1. Create opt-in forms on your website and social media profiles. Make it easy for visitors to subscribe to your email list.
2. Offer a lead magnet, such as an e-book or discount code, in exchange for an email address.
3. Network with other business owners in your industry and collaborate on email list-building efforts.
For example, the online fashion store “Shein” has done a great job growing its email list by offering new subscribers a 10% discount code. They also make it easy to subscribe by including an opt-in form on their homepage.
Goal 2: Improve Email Open Rates
Once you’ve grown your email list, the next goal is to ensure that your subscribers are opening your emails. If you’re seeing low open rates, it’s time to change your strategy.
1. Personalize email subject lines with the subscriber’s name or location.
2. Segment your email list based on subscriber preferences or behaviour.
3. Send emails at the right time when your subscribers are most likely to be checking their inboxes.
For example, “Casper” , a mattress company, has successfully improved their email open rates by sending personalized emails with catchy subject lines. They also segment their email list based on subscribers’ past purchases and send emails at the right time.
Goal 3: Increase Email Click-Through Rates
Once your subscribers open your emails, the next step is to ensure they click through to your website. This is where the real conversion opportunities lie.
1. Create compelling content that encourages subscribers to click through.
2. Test different subject lines and email formats to see what resonates with your audience.
3. Use clear calls to action, such as “Shop Now” or “Learn More.”
For example, “Birchbox” a beauty product company, has increased click-through rates by creating visually appealing and engaging email campaigns with clear calls-to-action. They also regularly test different email formats and subject lines to see what resonates with their audience.
Goal 4: Increase Email Conversion Rates
Once you’ve successfully increased your click-through rates, it’s time to focus on converting those clicks into sales.
1. Create targeted email campaigns based on subscriber behavior and preferences.
2. Include reviews and testimonials from happy customers.
3. Use persuasive language in your emails, such as “limited time offer” or “exclusive deal.”
For example, “Dollar Shave Club” a shaving product company, has increased their conversion rates by creating targeted email campaigns tailored to subscriber preferences. They also include persuasive language and reviews from satisfied customers in their emails.
Goal 5: Improve Email Deliverability
It’s important to ensure that your emails make it to your subscriber’s inbox. If your emails are being marked as spam or bouncing, it’s time to make changes to your strategy.
1. Optimize your email content to avoid being marked as spam.
2. Reduce email bounce rates by regularly cleaning and updating your email list.
3. Build a positive sending reputation by adhering to best practices for email marketing, such as obtaining consent and providing an easy opt-out option.
For example, “Mailchimp” an email marketing platform, has successfully improved its email deliverability by regularly monitoring and improving its sending reputation. They also provide resources and tools for users to optimize their email content and reduce bounce rates.
Goal 6: Increase Revenue from Email Marketing
Email marketing is not only a powerful tool for building relationships with customers but also a powerful tool for driving revenue. Increasing revenue from email marketing can be a key indicator of overall business success. By creating targeted campaigns that effectively convert clicks into sales, businesses can see a significant increase in revenue.
To boost revenue from email marketing, businesses can:
1. Use a sense of urgency in their email campaigns, such as limited-time offers or flash sales.
2. Offer exclusive discounts to email subscribers as a thank you for signing up or as an incentive to purchase.
3. Utilize abandoned cart emails to remind customers of items left in their online shopping carts and encourage them to complete their purchases.
For example, “Birchbox” a beauty product company, has implemented abandoned cart email campaigns that have significantly increased revenue. They also regularly offer exclusive discounts to email subscribers, which has helped to boost sales.
Goal 7: Increase Engagement with Email Automation
Email automation allows businesses to create targeted campaigns triggered by specific subscriber behavior or preferences. This can increase engagement with their email list by delivering personalized and relevant content at the right time.
To create effective email automation campaigns, businesses can:
1. Personalize content, such as addressing subscribers by name and tailoring content to their interests.
2. Use triggers, such as purchase behavior or abandoned cart data, to send automated emails at the right time.
3. Segment their email list so that campaigns are only sent to those most likely to engage.
4. Measure success with metrics like open and click-through rates to see what campaigns are working and what needs to be improved.
For example, Dollar Shave Club, a shaving product company, has implemented email automation campaigns that have increased customer engagement by sending targeted, relevant content based on subscriber preferences. They also regularly measure their open and click-through rates to improve their campaigns.
Goal 8: Implement an Email List Cleanup
A clean email list is essential for the success of your email marketing campaigns. A regular email list cleanup can improve engagement, open and click-through rates, and overall business success.
To clean up your email list, businesses can:
1. Identify inactive or unengaged subscribers and remove them from the list.
2. Update subscriber information and preferences, so campaigns are only sent to those most likely to engage.
3. Regularly monitor list growth to ensure that new subscribers are being added and that the list grows organically.
For example, “Mailchimp” an email marketing platform, has implemented a regular email list cleanup process that has resulted in improved engagement, open and click-through rates, and overall business success. They also provide resources and tools for users to monitor list growth and update subscriber information and preferences.